Saturday, May 17, 2008

Spring finally arrives

I just found this post in my "drafts", so apparently I wrote it this spring and didn't post it. So here it is!!

I usually like winter. It's a good time to hole up and get cosy with a good book on weekends, and I love to watch the snow fall, especially when I don't have to drive in it.

Well, this winter drug out just a little tooooooooo long. Not only was there three feet of snow in my yard most of the season, but I swear I woke up to new snow (which usually melted during the day) every other morning during April and even into May. I got really tired of wearing my tall snowboots this winter -- they are heavy and half of the heel is worn down from over a dozen years of hard use.



And it's been cold. I've been worried that our new editor, who started just as the snow started falling the week after Thanksgiving, would hightail it back to Arizona; he was truly in weather-shock all winter and into spring.



This weekend a heat wave hit the Northwest and after last week with the highs in the 50s it's supposed to get up to 89 today in Joseph. (I think it was high 70s yesterday!) Yesterday it was 101 somewhere on the Oregon coast, by far a record, and the newscaster was saying it was probably a first that it hit 101 here this season before in Phoenix in Arizona.



Anyway, instead of curling up with a good book, I should be out mowing the rapidly-growing grass, though unfortunately the lawn mower didn't start the last time I tried to start it last fall.

No comments: